Hope everyone had an excellent Thanksgiving Weekend. I know I did. Today I want to give you an update about my career process. As of now, I am still unemployed. I did not get into Google as I mentioned last month, but that is alright. My mission is still to find a job or internship within the online media industry, even if this economy sucks. Last Wednesday, I applied to AOL's online editorial internship so I hope I hear something from AOL-Time Warner within the next two to three weeks. If I don't, I am just going to find a seasonal, retail job in the meanwhile to help pay my loans back and get back on my foot.
In my Real Time, Set in Motion post in mid October, I talked about accomplishing some tasks before the month was over. Lets see if I actually accomplished those things.
- Find a job, whether it is a seasonal or permanent job.
- See if I can take winter or spring classes at a local college to boost my resume.
- Network with Smith College alumnae.
- Get more sleep.
- Buy something for mom for Christmas.
- Save more money.
- Stay the eternal optimist that I am.
- Go out and enjoy myself this New Year's.
What do screaming Twilight fans, a 40 year old perverted wannabe vampire, and holiday shoppers all have in common? They are out of control! What happened to the humanity?! If you fit in any of these categories, I am going to help you act like a smart shopper starting this holiday season. You must act smart and spend deliberately as you visit dozens and dozens of malls across the country. Because we are still in an economic recession, I already know that you are not going to purchase expensive holiday gifts unless you are within the top one percent tier of the American population. With the unemployment rate over 10%, who is going to spend a ton of $$ this year? You want your GAP clothes and laptops at extremely low and discounted prices.
So before you glance over newspaper ad clippings, Tech Diva advises you to hit the digital world this year to get the most updated cool bargains and giveaways and economy experts' tips. Here are my three recommendated websites that you should check out:
- Black Friday 2009: This is probably the Google of all Black Friday themed websites. Not only does it contain forums where you can post your suggestions and insider information about your favorite stores and name brands to others, but it has free consumer buying guides, top stores' Black Friday hours, and the most updated online deals around. For instance, did you know that you can buy a Fuji FinePix J28 camera for yourself or a loved one on Amazon.com for only $80! Plus, the site is linked to other online stores' websites such as Amazon and Walmart so you can purchase the item online.
- If you are a Twitter geek, follow CheapTweet on your Twitter account. CheapTweet searches the Twitter database for the best sales and deals. That way you are aware of those deals at every minute of the day on your computer or mobile phone. Rule of thumb. Follow your friends and your favorite celebrities and brand names on Twitter, Facebook, and other social networking sites. Maybe your best friend might "twitter" you about an awesome 50% deal off of jeans and accessories at JCPenneys. You never know.
- NY Mag.com's Black Friday Shopping Guide: For your NY hipsters out there, NYMag.com has collected a list of the best NY places to shop this Black Friday. Many vintage and upscale stores have great bargains including DSW that is selling Gucci handbags 50% off and other clearance items 70% off.
Thanksgiving is around the corner and everyone is getting ready to reconnect with family and friends. I am thankful for a lot of things, but unlike others, I am diabolically evil. Muahahahaha! Here are my top five thanksgiving revelations:
1. I am thankful for the food that I will help cook this Thanksgiving. This is the first time that I will help my mom with the cooking. Can't cook for nothing. I want the yummy food right now! ><
2. I am thankful for not planning on buying Sarah Palin's autobiography, Going Rogue, this holiday season. She is not the next Shakespeare or Virginia Woolf, so I have no intention in reading something that will not stimulate my mind mentally.
3. I am thankful for not wasting my $10 on a New Moon movie ticket this past weekend. I am officially a Twilight hater.
4. I am thankful for having this blog. Without it, I would go madly insane.
5. I am thankful for retaining my sense of humor and dignity even under these stressful times.
What are you thankful for this holiday season?
Some performances were bland, some were good. But these four brightened my night. If your performance is not on this list, then I think you either need to hone your craft more or I did not find your performance worthwhile or I do not like you as an artist.
She was phenomenal. After leaving Bobby and the drugs, she made me feel that I can become self-confidence of my own abilities and leave the pessimism aside. I even stead a tear or two just watching her. She has gone through so much, yet she finally found the strength to carry on. Here is her performing her single "I Did Not Know My Own Strength" off her successful comeback album, "I Look To You".
LadyGaga, LadyGaga. Lady Gaga. You were amazing last night. I did not know you were so talented as you played the piano on fire in an enclosed in a cubic containment and smashing empty alcohol bottles without skipping a beat. You brought freshness back to pop music. If Beyonce were to perform last night, you would win in a landslide. Beyonce has the dramatic, stage persona but can she play an musical instrument and still look sexy? Nope.
The Black Eyes Peas
I always admired you guys. The concept of your music and videos are never the same, always different and futuristic. I now realize that Fergie can actually sing. Bravo. And I like that you paid homage to the late King of Pop by bringing out silver, painted robotic dancers on stage. It slightly reminds me of MJ's Thriller.
Jay-Z And Alicia Keys
Jay-Z, you performed your song at the NY Yankee's World Series victory parade. I love the New York feeling. Alicia Keys rips it. I loved the "New York, New York" opening, followed by Jay-Z's white irony suit and the other young, talented pianists playing "Empire State of Mind" with Alicia Keys in the background. It was a good way to represent how music education is extremely valued to the New York City educational system.
Congratulations to all the winners and nominees this year at this year's American Music Awards in LA. I got the majority of my predictions correct except for the Album of the Year, which I will talk more about later. Now let's get back to business:
1. Why did not Lady Gaga win any award tonight? I was hoping for Lady Gaga to win either the Favorite Female Pop Artist or T-Mobile's Breakthrough Artist award but she got nothing. I was a bit disappointed but Lady Gaga is a new face in pop music so she will get her moment of appreciation and excellence, you know. We still have the Grammy early next year to look forward to. Ironic how she gave one of the best performances of the night, but came out empty-handed. Her time will come.
2. I told you once and I will tell you again. RiRi does not have a stage persona. I even had my own mother tell me this in my face! Rihanna cannot sing or perform. I was hoping for her to redeem herself after her physical assault with former superstar boyfriend Chris Brown, but she did not deliver a very good comback performance. I do not care if Rihanna fans hate me or not. I am telling like it is. She may be a product of Def Jam but she is only a pretty face. Only Keri Hilson and Ciara have worse stage performances than Rihanna.
3. Taylor Swift was a five time winner last night. Yet, the American Idol winner was nowhere to be found because she was rehearsing her London's gig for tonight. On live satellite, she seemed modest and extremely suprised to win these awards even winning out against the King of Pop in the Album of the Year category. I was hoping the American public could have not voted more diversely and I am still puzzled to why Taylor Swift won all these awards. Do people like her music or they felt bad for her after Kanye West stole her sunshine at this year's MTV VMAs? Speaking of which, I thought Kanye was going to come out of nowhere and interrupt her acceptance speeches. HAAAAA. Oh, wait he was not nominated this year so that is why.
4. Jennifer Lopez landed on her ass towards the end of her raunchy, boxing inspired performance of her new single "Louboutins". I love JLo in the last 1990s, but if she comes out with this Beyonce, Sasha Fierce repertoire, I might want to hurl.
6. Beyonce was no where to be found and I am not surprised.
7. There was nothing shocking and grotesque with Adam Lambert's performance at the very end of the show. I had to view it a second time on Youtube to see what people were complaining about. As one Youtuber commented and I strongly agree, Madonna has done this years ago and no one really complained. Now that you replace Madonna with an American Idol finalist and openly gay man, now there is a problem because he allowed one of his male dancers to be inches near his crotch. Moving on...
So you are wondering how and why do I incorporate this brand in my daily life? For one thing, I like free, inventive stuff. I love Blogger because I can create a free blog in which I can present my life and its delicate mysteries to other people. Without Google, I would not be standing here right now talking to you about Google or even about my deep hatred for Megan Fox. Google's Blogger kept me sane when I thought I had nothing else to do. Writing has always been a passion and I will use for my own benefit. iGoogle and Google Mail are also my life right now. I do not get as much spam as I have gotten on my Yahoo account which is a major plus. Yahoo!, shame on you! I customize my own widgets and the internal detailing on my homepage. I've inserted YouTube videos, my Gemini horoscope, the Huffington Post and the NYTimes and a TV guide all on my iGoogle page. It is like I have invented my little world inside a digital world inside a much larger, unflattering world I call Earth.
But enough of my obsession. You want to know what Google has been up to lately:
Google OS System
Move over Apple and Microsoft. Within 5 years or so, Google will embrace the OS business like I embrace my laptop every morning. Will it be better than the Mac or the recent Windows 7 OS? The new operating system is under development right now and BirTorrent and other Internet sites are now offering the new product as open-source to the public, so Google can get inspired information technology experts and fans to download the files and repolish its applications. I recommend you read these articles on Technorati, PC World, and Computer World for more information.
I personally do not know what the Internet juggernaut has in store for us, but what I do want is an operating system that can either improve upon Apple's and Microsoft's mistakes, but can still bring something new to the table. I do have a question though. Google Mail and Google Documents, for example, are free if you have a Gmail account. Will Google decide to make Google OS a free, affordable mechanism, so that Google Mail and Google Document continue to be free to the public or will we have to start buying better versions of those Google products if Google decides to incorporate them into the operating system like Microsoft? Even if it becomes free, how is Google going to profit from this product? Ads?
Will Google Wave replace email and all things Twitter? Yes and No. I have read the pros and cons of this new Google product from the increase effort to building real-time communication among college students, business colleagues, and other social groups to the threat real-time communication poses to your Internet privacy. I personally hope Google Wave is incorporated into Google Mail. Now, that would be amazing.
So I just received my Google invitation last week. What have I learned? What do I like or do not like? I have not had much process my first week. I did invite a good friend to Google Wave, but we haven't started talking. It is going to take more time and more effort on my part to make something happen. I am a part of a new wave called "Women on Wave" which gives female participants the space to discuss women's rights and issues. It consists of over 100 people from around the world and I have managed to write a brief introduction about myself to the group. Yet, we hope to have a real live online discussion really soon. So, I will keep you posted on my experiences within the given weeks and months to come. I will make history for the sake of humanity. Oh, what joy will come out of this. This is Tech Diva at your service and she is here to stay.
There is also some gossip floating around that if Michael Jackson was not dead, he would have not been even nominated in the first place because he technically did not release a new album on the radio. It's true. Look who won the Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture at this year's Academy Awards. The late Heath Ledger. If the AMA Awards can get Janet Jackson to perform the opening act for eight minutes, MJ is expected to win big.
3. Oversexualized: Beyonce, are you there? What happened to my strong, independent "Bills, Bills, Bills" girl? She was just a bit too raunchy and overdoing the whole "Sasha Fierce" thing in this video yet again. Was the concept of this video porn or dressing up for your boyfriend on your video phone? Oh, wait. Sasha Fierce and Carrie Prejean do have something in common.
5. The song itself: Beyonce should have picked another song to be her next single. Period. I would have chosen "Radio".
Internet junkie right here. Sometimes, I rather watch the newest episode of "Family Guy" on Hulu.com instead than view it on Cartoon Network or the Fox Channel. I feel that the Internet is the next TV screen. I can watch which shows I want whenever, wherever I want.
But do you know what gets on my freaking nerves? When certain cable networks feel like that its their duty to pull the plug on certain new and upcoming television shows. For example, all last month I was watching "Eastwick" on Hulu.com. For those who do not watch the show, you should have see the 1980s movie adaptation with Jack Nicholson, Susan Surandon, Cher, and Michelle Pfeffier. Awesome movie. But anyway, Hulu.com was promoting the new fall show on its website for a limited time.
Last Thursday, I anxiously waited for the new Eastwick episode, only to realize that Hulu.com removed the whole series from its website because ABC cancelled the show after seven episodes. I thought the show had a good storyline and character development. Now, I do not hate Hulu.com because the website is not the show's primary carrier. Hulu.com gets permission from TV networks to show movies and TV shows for free. ABC is the culprit. But do you hate that really good shows sometimes are let go yet stupid reality TV shows like The Hills are on for another season? Come on, I want my quality television back. Remember The Cosby Show and Firefly? Remember when shows used to entertain us? Now, we are surrounded by garbage. What do you think?
Ok, I admit it. I do not watch the AMA awards at all. I am more of a Grammys, MTV VMAs type of girl. I usually perceive it as a two to three hour worthless piece of crap. But, I've heard on Youtube's The Skorpion Show (shoutout to Kevin and Makael!) that this year's AMA Awards is going to be amazing!
This will be probably be the awards show of the year to end a year of tragedy, musical hits, and drama in the music industry. That is why I've decided to get more involved with writing material about these big award shows this season. By next Sunday or Monday of next week, my full review of the show will be posted on this blog. I hope I see a freshness and a passion in each and every performance. Otherwise, I am going to talk about that artist until there is nothing left to talk about. The 37th Annual American Music Awards is next Sunday, November 22nd at 8pm EST on ABC. Find out about this year's nominees are here. Be ready.
Hello, everyone. This week is probably the lousiest week to blog. I have had a hard time thinking about what to write. However, I think my writer's block is finally over. I've sought guidance and tips from several different blogging websites and I've read your comments. I think every writer or blogger goes through this particular stage from time to time and I feel more comfortable with it now. But I am ready to get back on my feet!
I will also devote more time researching online topics and sharing you my awesomeness with you all. So lets get excited and let the fun begin!
I was waiting for Kanye West's stupid butt to interrupt Taylor Swift's monologue during her SNL debut performance this past Saturday. But, he did not make it. Kanye West, I am going to let you finish your career, but Taylor Swift had the best monologue of all time! Hehe ^.^. I may not like her brand of music, but the monologue is very catchy. I wish it was on Itunes.
Awesomeness. Spring 2010 Alexander McQueen shoes! Dead corpse lying next her semi naked body. Big bubbly eyes. Lady Gaga will stay in this game for a long time to come. When the King of Pop is no longer here and pop music seems like the same sexist, bubblegum garbage, Lady Gaga pushes the envelope and that is why I love her. Let her be her crazy self! You will get to see more of her inventiveness in her new music video "Bad Romance" off her sophomore album "Fame Monster." Watch her new video below.
Now, I'm waiting to see the Beyonce/Lady Gaga video collaboration of Beyonce's hit single "Video Phone" soon. Will there be stiff competition along these talented ladies? Only time will tell.
Right now, I am in a kind of a serious brain fart. I do not know what to write or discuss in my blog posts. I have tried getting inspiration from some of my favorite blogs and websites, but no luck so far. Could you write in the comments what topics you would like me to talk about in the near future? Make sure these topics fall under media, entertainment, politics, and technology. If you want me to talk about something outside those areas of disciplines, be my guest. I want to you what you, the follower, have in store for me. I know that many bloggers go through this phrase in their blogging life but I do not want to continue in this uncertain, fickle path. Please comment below and help me make this blog even more awesome. ^.^ I am looking for cool, inventive ideas! Things outside the box. I look forward for your constructive criticism and ideas.
Oh my god. I know everyone knows about the two deadly shootings at Fort Hood and in Florida this past week. My condolences goes to the victims' and alleged killers' families. With the war and the high unemployment rate in this country, the stress is very overwhelming. Remember the LAC Review I had written earlier last week? Does anyone see that the plot of that movie, which was a man exposing the fallacies of the American justice system, taken literally in the real world context? We just had two apparently American "law abiding citizens" commit acts of murders and bloodshed on our nation's soil. Their motives are still unclear to the rest of us, but what I do see a pattern.
We have actual people that are releasing their frustrations and depression into dangerous ways as they are influenced by social factors such as family issues, joblessness, separation of religion and state, discrimination, and the Iraqi and Afghan/Iraqi wars. I am surprised that something that I had thought was possible actually happened right before our very eyes. Maybe Hollywood movies are worth watching these days. Just a rule of thumb.
A month ago, I said that I would get into the new CW series, "The Vampire Diaries". And I did. So far the series is awesome. I do not want to give away the whole storyline, which is based on the hit book series, but it circles around two feuding vampire brothers in love with the same teenage girl. Here is why I love the TV series:
1. The actors can truly act. No offense Twilight but Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner cannot act at all.
2. Paul Wesley is a much hotter male lead than Robert Pattinson.
3. There aren't any sparkling vampires.
4. Nina Dobrev, who stars as the female protagonist in the TV adaptation, is not your usual whinny, hopeless, passive female archetype. She has guts, she's practical, and she stands up for herself, despite not possessing vampire or supernatural powers.
5. The Vampire Diaries, unlike Twilight, is so underrated and I like it that way. Less screaming died hard fans.
If you want to check out the TV series online, click here. Enjoy!