From Academia to the Workplace, From Blogger to WordPress

Posted by Lady Mel On Monday, April 26, 2010 7 comments




Times are changing. I'm growing up. It's been 11 months since I graduated from college. I have moved mountains, spent my days blogging, and enjoyed the last bit of freedom I had before I start to take the real world by storm. Now it is time to be a grown-up. Starting this Friday, I will start my volunteer work at UMDNJ's Marketing Department. This Saturday, I am heading to the Meadowlands with a good friend to attend the 2010 Bamboozle Music Festival. Within two weeks, I will know whether I will intern at BuzzFeed in June or not.

Do you know what that means? Less time blogging, more time working, networking, and building my skills outside this damn house FINALLY! Am I nervous? Of course. Will I become the best intern I can be? Of course. I will try my best to fit the most appropriate blogging schedule before I start working.

By this week, I will decide whether or not to transfer this blog to the WordPress platform, after consulting with others on Twitter about it last night. I thought about leaving Blogger, but the new template designer caught my eye and dissolved all previous thoughts about joining WordPress. Now I want to expand my community with other bloggers online. Blogger is not giving me that community leverage and commitment I need and its new FTP changes). I love Google, but I need a change.

I have two important questions to ask you:

1. What advice would you give someone who is reentering the workforce/corporate America after being unemployed for several months?


2. Now that I know that importing my blog to WordPress is a good strategic move to expand my personal brand, if I do leave Blogger, will you follow me onto my new platform? Do you think I am making the right decision?

7 comments:

Caity said...

As someone who uses blogger on her own personal domain, I am obviously going to support what you are leaning towards.

I'm only just visiting your blog for the first time but I like your way of thinking.

My blog is a personal blog. I don't use my blog for business or networking. It's just my own personal outlet but I fully support and understand how it is the better choice in a situation such as yours.

Caity said...

Gah, and I meant as someone who uses Wordpress on her own personal domain. I just woke up, sorry.

Lady Mel said...

@Caity Thank you for support. I am hearing bad things about this FTP change with Blogger like my blog could get deleted if it is reported as spam to Blogger. I do not want that to happen. I have an new WP account, I am going to play with it this week.

Johana Hill said...

If you're going for a self-hosted blog then you should definitely move to Wordpress. Otherwise, personally, I would stick to Blogspot. Nowadays, many tutorials on how to improve your Blogspot blogs are being shared online. You want a forum on your Blogspot blog? Check this link: http://bloggerstop.net/2010/02/add-forum-to-your-bloggerblogspot-blog.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Bloggerstopnet+(BloggerStop.net)&utm_content=Google+Reader

If you don't want to pay for a domain then Blogspot is the ideal platform since you can customise or create a new template. On the Wordpress platform, customisation is limited for a free blog.

If you're buying a domain and need help with FTP, hit me up. I'll find tuts for ya! ;p

Lady Mel said...

But Johanna, starting May 1st, Blogger is no longer supporting FTP support. My question to you is what is FTP? =/

Johana Hill said...

FTP is file transfer protocol. I think Blogger means that you won't be able to use your own domain name on the Blogger platform. At least I think so. I'll need to look it up. ;p

Lady Mel said...

@Johanna Oh ok. I am still confused. I keep hearing that Blogger will shut down blogs that have been reported as spam. I'm a bit scared. I'm mis formed and scared. lol.