2010 Grammy Awards Preview: Expectations and Drama

Posted by Lady Mel On Saturday, January 30, 2010 2 comments

Over the course of this week, I thought about how I was going to write my Grammys preview because I could have gone down the obvious route and blogged who I think will win in each category, but there are over 105 categories so I would be wasting my time.  Plus, it will be hard to pick a winner for the major awards because they is stiff competition in each category. As a result, I have narrowed it down with my post about what I look forward to at this year's ceremony. Lets have a look shall we?

1. Taylor Swift is going to win the most awards. Period. It is sad, but true. I do not really like her music, but I hear she has had one of the best selling albums of last year. However, I do not want her to win the most awards just because Kanye West was a douche to her and that everyone including the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences that votes the Grammy winners felt sorry for her.

I want professional people within this advisory board to vote for the winners based on the number of record sales and number of times each artist was on the Billboard charts. Swift does not need any more "sympathy points" as Makael from YouTube's theSkorpionShow proclaimed. And trust me, if she wins all of her eight nominations, I will be pissed because there are more deserving artists such as the Black Eyed Peas and Lady Gaga who either outshine or rival her in fan popularity and music sales last year. We let her slide at the VMAs and the American Music Awards for some reason. But not at the Grammys.


2. This is also the late Michael Jackson's night. Although, he is not physical here with us, he will receive the Life Achievement Awards for his innovative contributions in popular music within the past thirty years. According to E! Online, Celine Dion, Usher, Carrie Underwood, and a slew of other musical artists that have been profoundly influenced by the King of Pop will participate in the MJ tribute. I personally think this tribute will top the BET Awards, the AMA's, and possibly the VMA's MJ tributes.

Also, MJ's three children will all present a speech on behalf of their late father. I think with great tragedy and controversy comes great respect for the craft. Without MJ, we would not have Chris Brown or Usher. Ironically, this tribute has sparked controversy because Chris Brown and Omarion will not be a part of the Grammy tribute. Omarion is not a major music artist like Chris Brown, but it has been almost one year since the Rihanna/Chris Brown abuse scandal and some people within the music industry are still blaming Chris Brown for the incident. With all the bad things and rumors that MJ had to live through all his professional and private life, MJ would have allowed Chris Brown to participate in his tribute because MJ was all for peace and love in the world. Not that I would!

3. Lastly, I am very enthusiastic for the array of performances this year. Lady Gaga and Elton John will do the opening act. Lady Gaga has had a stellar year in music and I know that she will bring us the originality and star power that we need in live performances these days. As the Wall Street Journal's John Jurgenson proclaimed about the rising star's entrance to fame, "Gaga may not turn out to be yet another fleeting pop novelty, but many other industry veterans see her as the real deal, and her ambitions and skill at navigating the turbelent industry make her a durable star". I think she is the real deal and she will deliver! Other artists that will be performing tomorrow night at the Staples Center in Los Angeles are Jamie Foxx and T-Pain, Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, Maxwell, Green Day, and Drake. I want these people to entertain me! Give me life or I will talk about you! You can find the complete list of Grammy performers and presenters here.

I am very excited about the Grammys this year because I believe this is going to be one of the most remarkable Grammy award ceremonies ever! You have the best musicians under one roof. I will be chatting on Twitter and BlogTV (with Kevin from TheSkorpionShow) tomorrow night as I watch each performance carefully and the winners get their deserved trophies. The Grammys will take place tomorrow night, January 31st at 8pm EST on CBS. Be there!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

me and my wife have been researching 2012 for about 2 years now and have allready started planning they say by 2010 you will see it in the sky and i think thats about the time we will have everything ready we are looking to start a survival group or if anyone else has one that we can join let me know ill check back later thanks
[url=http://2012earth.net
]new world 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

Anonymous said...

i very much enjoy your own posting choice, very attractive.
don't give up and keep creating considering it just simply very well worth to follow it,
impatient to looked over a lot more of your current content, have a good one ;)